Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Quickly Save if My House Was Going to Burn Down

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Books I'd Quickly Save if My House Was Going To Burn Down
Top Ten Tuesday post by Kayla

I was quasi-excited when I saw this topic because I found myself in this situation last September. I’m not excited about my house facing the potential of burning down, but I’m excited about knowing what I would grab.My area had been suffering from a massive drought, and wild fires began popping up all over the parish (not a church district, I live in Louisiana). One day, a fire ignited less than a mile from my house. The wind was blowing, but it did not require immediate evacuation despite not being under control. Since I had a few hours to pack the bare necessities, I was about to grab books after packing photos, clothes, heirlooms, and other essentials. Here are the books I grabbed:

1. Hammered by Kevin Hearne

I adore Kevin almost as much as I enjoy pestering him on Twitter from time to time. I found him initially on Nicole Peelers blog, and we struck up a Twitter-friendship. He often talks about how great Tabasco sauce is (gag!), so I had to send him some of Louisiana’s other local pepper sauces, which I prefer. He did a sauce-off (http://www.kevinhearne.com/hawt-sawce) and preferred Tabasco, but I forgave him. Mostly. The Fraggles didn’t, but that’s another story (one is enough).

The point I’m making is that this dude is pure awesome. He was kind enough to send me a personalized copy of Hammered, and it’s one of my most treasured possessions. Having signed books is amazing, but there is nothing like having one personalized by an author you respect. And don’t worry, Hounded and Hexed got to tag along with their little brother-book.

2. Jane True series by Nicole Peeler

I am an eternal college student, but only in spells. During my last enrollment binge, I was fortunate enough to have met Nicole. I was the president of a campus group that promoted sexual health and responsibility for college students, and she became our advisor when the other professor (and also my very good friend) stepped down. Since not everyone wants to hang out in front of the various buildings, passing out condoms and STD brochures during events, there were not many people in the group. I was president (mainly by default) and was lucky enough to get to know Nicole a bit during the group’s social functions and while raiding her office for more condoms and lube.

The point I’m getting to is Nicole is the first person that I ever knew that was published other than educationally or by an independent press. I must confess that I never truly believed that “real people” wrote books. (Nicole seems real enough, but I’m also a terrible judge of people.) Since the first book in the series – Tempest Rising – was released, I have bought every book in the series and gone to every signing Nicole had in this area. We have both moved on to other things since that university, but we will always have the comedic-hormance label. And memories of the lube.

3. Sabina Kane series by Jaye Wells

There isn’t a long story here, I promise. I have all of these books because she does signings with Nicole Peeler. She has always signed my books with dire warnings, and I look forward to getting Silver Tongued Devil’s. This series is definitely one of my favorites.

4. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue

I checked this book out and read it when it was first released. I had read a fantastic review of it in some publication or another, and had to have it. When I finished it, I could do nothing else but write this gushing letter to Mr. Donohue telling him how fantastic it was that he wrote this wonderful, dark fairy tale for adults. He blew my mind away by sending me an autographed first edition. The message he wrote in it made me cry.

5. Ariel by Steven R. Boyett

This book is not signed. It is dirty and worn. I’ve only corresponded briefly with the author over email before this book was rereleased and the sequel published. The reason that this book is so important to me is that it is a first edition, I love the unicorn on the cover, and it was my frequent rereading of the book that wore it out.

6. My Daughter’s Bible

It was one of the only things her father has ever deigned to give her, so I’m sure it will be important to her one day.

7. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

For my twenty-first birthday, my mom gave me a beautiful leather-bound edition of this book. I am the only person who has ever cracked it open. I know this because I have it hidden away. Is it my precious? Maybe.

8. A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford

This is another book that is not signed, but I adore Leah. (I promise not to gush here.) I waited over a year for this book to come out, and it was her first novel. Maybe I stalked her a little when I found out her main character’s name was Eden. I also have an Eden, and I thought it would be so cool to have a young adult urban fantasy with her name in it. I treasure this book not only because it’s an awesome read, but also due to it being written by one of the most fantastic people that I know.

Note: If this would have been the TTT at the end of this month, A Touch Morbid would be number one on the list. (No, they’re not in any particular order right now.)

9 & 10. Lady of the Lake (I don’t remember which author) and Tempest by William Shakespeare

These are my beloved first editions from the late 1800s. I found these in an aunt’s junk pile when I was eleven. I knew exactly what I had my hands on, and she gladly let me have them. They are also ferreted away in my hidey hole.
 

11 comments:

  1. Just wow - I didn't think I'd read a list from someone that was actually in this situation! I hope everything turned out well for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire was actually contained about a quarter of a mile from my house. We had about 5 hours to pack, and got nearly everything but the kitchen sink in about five vehicles.

      Kayla @ Krazy Book Lady

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an amazing stack of books you have there :)
    New follower!

    http://momzunas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to have you on board! :-D

      Kayla @ Krazy Book Lady

      Delete
  3. Kevin Hearne cracks me up too. Oh and I like his books as well! Sorry you had a scarry experience but glad you had time to prepare.
    Happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond grateful that I had time to prepare. The books were an afterthought because I have so much stuff that I've saved of my daughter's. I was even able to go upstairs and save her baby clothes, including what she wore home from the hospital. :-)

      Kayla @ Krazy Book Lady

      Delete
  4. Wow! That's awesome that you know an author! :) Her series sounds really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a kickass lady. I know a few others, too, but she's one of my favorites. :-)

      Kayla @ Krazy Book Lady

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine having to go through my possession like that - I'm glad it was for nothing, though! Your list is incredible, by the way - I haven't heard of many of them and they all sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, wow, I'm glad you didn't actually have to evacuate! I can't imagine being put in that kind of situation.

    You have some awesome books there on your list! I know if I had a leather bound version of "The Hobbit", I would be hiding it away as well. ;)

    Great list!!! You gave me some new books to check out. :) Here is my TTT

    I'm a new follower, too, btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of those. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs