Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Velveteen Rabbit - Books That Made Me Love Reading

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
*Read for the Books That Made Me Love Reading Challenge*

This was not the book that I had planned to read first for the challenge, but it suddenly hit me that it is almost the end of the month and I haven't read my book for this month yet. Since I didn't even have time to go the library, I searched for books from my childhood that I could get downloaded to my Kindle for free. So the picture shown isn't the actual edition that I read.

My review:
I loved this story as a child, and I still think it is very sweet. I think reading this when I was younger may have been part of the reason I never wanted to throw away any of my toys. My only complaint now is that I read the Kindle version, which is not illustrated. But that has nothing to do with the beauty of this classic children's story. There is a reason this story has been popular since first published in 1922.

About the challenge:
The Books That Made Me Love Reading Challenge is hosted by Emlyn Chand. She has challenged participants to read one book from their childhood each month in 2012. You can find out more about this challenge and prizes available by visiting Emlyn's site. 

7 comments:

  1. Sue Ricci says, "I loved A Wrinkle in Time. I gave a copy to my grandson but I read it first!. We've also had 3-4 Velveteen Rabbit books when my kids were youngsters!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the Velveteen Rabbit. When I got married, we actually read this passage : "What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

    "Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

    "Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

    "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

    "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

    "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

    Lindsey from babiesbooksandsigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is actually one of my very first books ever too. I love it!

    BK Walker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love The Velveteen Rabbit- and I still have my original copy from when I was a kid. One of the most prized books in my collection : ) Great post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story too. I no longer have my original copy but I bought a copy as an adult. I love the illustrations too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I loved Velveteen Rabbit too and also didn't want to throw away my toys (and felt bad if they didn't get enough attention). VR kicks Toy Story's butt major!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs